pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
It's up to your perspective. But I would find a location to have at least a structured wiring cabinet. The cabinet should be of decent size with at least 2 sets of duplex outlets. The cabling should be punched down into a patch panel. All wiring should be at least Cat6 if not Cat6a.

Depending on your house layout, I would look to have a drop placed in the ceiling which provides the besy coverage for each floor of your house to install wireless access points. For the various rooms think about having at least 2 Category cabling drops put in. Consider having conduits placed in the wall to allow for future wiring changes or to install cabling later if you don't do it now. Depending on where you have all the cabling pulled to, consider having a 2" conduit installed to allow easy cabling installs after the fact vertically in the home. My house is 3 levels including the basement. I have a purpose built out server room and a 2" conduit that goes from the basement all the way up to the attic.

Consider putting in RG6 coax at each room that would probably see satellite or cable TV. Although the need is lessened these days with the various providers leveraging wireless to negate the need for coax at any given location.

Those are things off the top of my head. While Category cabling may be in your mind only for data networking, many technologies are leveraging Category cabling such as HDMI extenders.
+1

Excellent ideas and suggestions.
Some additional thoughs:
  • Cat6/6a wire isn't that expensive if you buy it in a 1000-ft box, so don't let that be an obstacle.
  • If you put in conduit, make sure to have the electrical contractor do it if you're not doing it yourself. That way they'll use the right connectors, elbows, etc. for pulling wire through.
  • If you use POE WiFi access points, which I'd highly recommend, all you need is the RJ45 (Cat6) wire. No 110v needed. The savings from that will offset the cost of those access points, in most cases.
  • May be unnecessary on this forum, but don't forget the garage and any outside spaces.
JasonCSU702.00
eluded3044.50
wdb4732.00