03-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #53
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtfitzvi View Post
Bmw "genius" called this morning to ask if we had any questions. I explained to him the VIM doesn't work in the guest profile. He said they're aware of this problem and each profile even the guest needs to be coded.

He said this is new starting in the G series vehicles. I just assumed the coding programs the ECU like previous cars.

I will give it another show when my new reader comes in since the one I ordered if defective.
Erm what?

Coding is not allowed by BMW and they certainly wouldn't provide support in activating Video in Motion, which is illegal in most countries, via coding. I suspect they misunderstood you

You may be misunderstanding me.

You code the ECU(s) as normal, like any other coding. Once coded ViM is not yet active. You then have to press the idrive controller and Menu buttons together in sequence to activate the hidden Speedlock menu for ViM. Then you can deactivate speedlock and Video will work when driven.

The extra step is to run through the idrive sequence when logged in as a different profile user in case the ViM menu needs to be set for each profile.

It is not possible to code a profile. The concept does not exist. Forget about it. The only possible coding changes for profiles are in the PIA codes, but ViM is not one of those, and the coding process for those PIA codes is exactly the same as all coding for all models of BMW past and present.

If you've already coded ViM, then you just need to do the idrive sequence to bring up the hidden menu while logged in as the target profile. You don't need to wait until your cable arrives unless you backed the ViM changes out at some point. It might not work, just a suggestion

Last edited by ifr; 03-10-2020 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0