08-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #150
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcon View Post
First off, nice collection. But taking shots at others choices in timepieces is less than appealing...to each their own I guess
If that was 'taking shots,' it was a pretty oblique shot. But I'll make no bones about it: I'm not on board with the BIG WATCH thing - it harkens back to the days when a wristwach was essentially a big pocket watch on a strap. And personally I do not aspire to a Rolex on my wrist. I fully understand others favor them, and that's fine. No offense to them meant.

That's not only aesthetic preference - I've got very small wrists and have a heckuva time finding straps to fit unless I order custom from Camille Fournet, ABP or the like, so I start with a readily admitted prejudice and physionomy that sometimes limits my choice of wrist candy. When I see a press item for a new watch that appeals, the first thing I typically look for is the 'case diameter' spec. Over 40 mm won't fly. And as you know, in the heyday of mechanical wristwatches, a 35-36 mm case was typical for 'fine men's watches.'

Either everyone got bigger, or we're looking at a big watch fad. Kinda like the big SUV thing.

I'll cop to it. SUVs and 48 mm watches aren't my thing. That's why I'm driving an M2 with a 6 MT and wearing a Futurematic. Throwback stuff.
Appreciate 0