Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolfbmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G050i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Agreed, I've done a lot of searching so I was surprised to see that. Mine acts exactly how you describe it now, but I'm confident I had control with the drive modes before. You could hear it click closed when pressing comfort. Now it will open above 3-4K RPM in sport and stay closed all the time in comfort.

You can plug in an enet adapter with bimmerlink and control it manually via an iPhone app, and I used that to confirm the sound I was expecting really wasn't there.
If you truly did have it open and close with just changing drive modes then I'm really surprised. I don't think I've heard anyone with a 50i have that happen. Or at least never saw someone post it until you. If that's all true then it seems like what happened is that with the update you actually got the exhaust operating the true way it was meant off the factory line lol. I think everyone would've rather had the setup you had before the change.
I just figured out that the replacement rain sensor wasn't calibrated so I'm headed back tomorrow. Planning on checking out a couple other X5s if I can to see / compare how the flap operates.
How did you make out testing out others? I have a feeling there might be limited inventory to check.

I know on my prior ///M, you could hear the flap open and close when engaging into sport, sport plus or back to efficiency.
You nailed it, they didn't have any on the lot. They ran the ISTA teach-in process on the exhaust flap module and confirmed it was working. Must just be different on the newer istep.
That is good to hear.

A question I have on my new M50i, when I use my coding device to open the flaps, it sounds like I am only opening the passenger side (right side). No clicking on the other side.

Do you hear 2 clicks or simultaneous clicking?
Usually just a single click, both at the same time.
So I connected my Carly to the M50i, climbed underneath the rear of the car. Selected open values and only the right side (Passenger side -US) opened. Nothing from left side (Drivers side - US).

The actuators are identical. I am wondering if one is bad.

When the right side is open, you can feel the exhaust coming out of the outside tailpipe.
I guess I'm not sure about that on mine as I didn't look underneath. What I know for sure is before on 07/2019, sport mode would open the valve and it would stay open. Comfort would close. You hear the click.

Now on 03/2020, sport mode ENABLES it to open, but it doesn't until you're revving and moving. Comfort it stays closed.

I used Bimmerlink and did confirm that it still functions and clicks like I expected it to when manually triggered, and the dealership did the same with ISTA. The consensus was that it is different with the new software.

I'm really disappointed as I love a little bassy drone of the exhaust with the V8. I use an ENET cable for coding since it's reliable and fast, but I just ordered a wireless OBDII adapter so I can use it to trigger the exhaust exclusively without pulling out the cable.
Makes sense and thank you for that information.

My build date varied. When I tracked it, I had a date of 2/29 on Mdecoder but a couple days later a March date appeared. Thankfully I took screenshots to confirm the 2 different dates with same VIN.

I will play around with it a little more to see if I can identify that it actually works on the driver side.

If one opens with the app, both should.
Appreciate 0