View Single Post
      01-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #20
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiki08 View Post
The OG guys are pretty obsessed indeed haha. They have a facebook group too with lots of sharing if anyone’s interested. Don’t have the luxury of my own garage here, so it’s more just for looks for me. Another popular detailing resource is ‘pan the organiser’ on YouTube. There’s plenty others but I think OG and Pan are two of the more prominent ones.

That’s a beautiful car you have there 155ND ! Saw a video by Archie Hamilton Racing driving one around Silverstone on YouTube.. that was breathtaking.

I’ve never seen it used on the popular YouTube videos, but I go about panel to panel with the wash mitt but only ever above the waist (around 1/3 of the panel height) for the first round around the car, before dropping to the second 1/3, and finally the lowest 1/3 on my final pass. That way, hopefully my mitt will be the cleanest whenever I clean the most visible (and usually cleaner) parts of the panels and not take the grub from the bottom of one panel to the top of another panel... if that makes sense.

Other than the two bucket system is a multiple mitt method (where you get as many mitts as you’ll need for a wash, and never dip them back in the bucket during any single wash).

@PavloPL and @wanderlustX5 would you consider the Karcher Follow Me? It’s a rechargeable pressure washer that can carry a tank of water or plug in a hose to suck water from a larger water bucket/source. Battery isn’t great (20min perhaps, and battery is not interchangeable) and water flow isn’t high either but I played that that method for a while, before finally getting a proper pressure washer. It’s passable and I’d definitely consider if you don’t have access to a hose. Or do you have coin washers outside?

Watch both of those guys (Pan the Organizer and Obsessed Garage), learned a LOT from them! One thing I agree with is the multi mitt method vs two bucket. If you are that OCD about your paint, I found this the best way. Cheap enough and also easier to clean. Just buy enough mitts to cover the size of the car.

2 sides per mitt, 1 side per section - easy math. Way less chance of scratching and contaminants and still use the two bucket method so you are rinsing the mitts immediately - easier to clean, and if you do need to go back to an area and have run out of mitts, you always have them soaking in the second bucket with the grit card as your backup.

Curious how people are cleaning the roof on your X5s? I’ve been cleaning an Audi sport back so it’s been easy to reach since it’s so low but won’t have that luxury.

I’m also super torn about whether to ceramic coat or not since I’m only leasing for 3 years. Maybe skip ceramic and go ppf on the black shadowline components to keep them from scratching??

Anyway, consider the multi mitt method as an alternative to standard two bucket. Has worked well for me in my limited experience.

Last edited by jg05; 01-11-2021 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0