02-14-2023, 01:09 PM   #4
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanATL View Post
I noticed that the ConnectedDrive store has an AdaptiveM suspension software upgrade for $500 for my 2023 X5 S40i. This was a pleasant surprise since I feel the car is generally too squishy riding/handling and the Sport and Sport+ settings don't allow suspension adjustments just steering, throttle, brake, and shifts. I had no idea the HW was in the car and just needed to be activated. I know it comes with the M sport package but I did not want that due to the big wheels.

If AdaptiveM was an option on the order form or was showing as a Monroney label line item on an in stock car then I would have happily paid it. But now that I know it's just SW I want a 30day trial. So questions are 1) is a trial possible and 2) anyone do the SW upgrade and how adaptive is the AdaptiveM?

I'm thinking when it comes to "bigger" changes like this, a trial isn't feasible until there's new base-level iDrive version. I.e., remote engine start is built in already. It's an on/off by enablement-code, based on if it was pre-purchased or later added to via the CD store, but either way, iDrive already knows that's an "on/off" feature.

Iconic sound and M-Sport adaptive, however, require an iDrive software update to enable the function. Those options don't [or didn't] exist for anything but M-Sport models initially, so for your non-M-Sport, there is no "on/off" logic in the software.

For your 30-day trial to work, you'd have to download and upgrade the vehicle software. Then after 30 days, download and upgrade to turn it off if you don't want to buy it. I assume that's why you don't get a trial of it; that approach is far too clunky.

I purchased it and I feel in sport mode the response is firmer and feels a bit tighter overall.