View Single Post
      08-21-2022, 11:35 PM   #4
Celos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixm3 View Post
While you don't need to know much about the self leveling, the one thing you will want to do once you have the vehicle is to check the height of the receiver (at running height) vs the height of your trailer tongue.
This is good advice. I have a 45e arriving in the next couple of weeks and will be using it to tow my tent trailer. I'm not sure how long it takes to auto-level to determine the right trailer ball height.

I cross-shopped Jeep Grand Cherokees with air suspension and the recommendation for that vehicle was to hitch it up and then drive a short distance to see where it ended up, and then set the ball height accordingly.

One question I have is how much impact the loading of the vehicle has on the height when towing. We usually have the same basic gear in the tow vehicle, with the most weight likely being in the cooler and in how much drinking water we're carrying in the car. The weight of those changes during the trip. I don't expect it would vary enough to impact the towing, but it's something I'll be watching as I use the car.
Appreciate 1
Retta19.00