09-26-2020, 04:59 AM   #12
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnborg Braga View Post
Trackstar - I had this fitted primarily as some insurance companies won't quote without a Thatcham cat 5 tracker for a car the value of mine, also for speed of recovery if it does get stolen. I had the tracker fitted by the dealer pre-delivery so that any faults with the tracker or car can't be blamed on the third party.

I don't see any real benefit in fitting a tracker less than cat 5.

The Trackstar comes in a number of versions tailored to particular makes/ models of car - presumably it is the wiring loom which differs.

About 5 minutes after I drove the shiny new car away from the dealer Trackstar phoned me to see if the car was stolen - it turns out that Trackstar don't recommend having both tags in the car at the same time as they can interfere with each other. The dealer had said nothing about this, and I had both tags together in a bag with all the new car documentation...

In the nearly 4 months I have had the car I have also had one automated call from Trackstar whilst I was driving to check whether the car had been stolen: I am not sure what triggered that as I had the tag with me. But I am happy that they are on the 'enthusiastic' side rather than too passive.

The tag is supposed to vibrate as you approach the car to let you know that it has been recognised, but with the tag in my pocket I have not noticed this.

You need to tell Trackstar beforehand if you are going to leave the car with someone for work on the car, eg have a dashcam installed or tyres changed/ re-balanced, as any temporary interruption to the battery supply or tilting of the car will trigger the alarm.

Overall I have been very happy with the Trackstar.

David
Cheers for that - I was planning to add my order and with the Q4 changes, I noticed Trackstar S5 available as an option.

Useful info so thanks for the detail
Appreciate 0