View Single Post
      05-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #30
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Other possibility is that the GT3 stays NA longer but ends up being even more limited and thus has left impact on fleet range due to it. I hope it stays NA as long as possible. I would guess Porsche will find a way to do so as well. People said the GT4 wouldn’t be NA either, and yet they not only kept it NA but gave us 5% more displacement too.
I actually think the more realistic scenario is Porsche adds additional models. GT remains the "somewhat limited" track model but goes turbo or hybrid next generation. Especially with Porsche being focused on records and lap times, they won't be able to keep up with the times their competitions' next-gen models are setting if they stay NA.

They then add things like "heritage" editions, more akin to the 911R in terms of "special"-ness but more of them throughout the generation.

We're already likely going to see it with the 992. There are substantiated rumors of a Carrera RS (not GT RS) and some other heritage editions being added to the mix.

Think about it, people would still scoop up the GT cars, but their best customers would have a line out the door for the "special" NA cars.

I've also heard some rumors (from rather credible folks) that the 911 will go mid-engine soon (share a platform with the next-gen Huracan and R8 if the R8 isn't killed) and then we have a handful of special rear-engine heritage editions sprinkled in. Sounds like blasphemy at first, until you realize that the Audi group (VW group, I guess) is becoming more and more homogenous, sharing parts across platforms, maximizing profit AND that the RSR and some of the race-built 911s are already mid-engine because it was essentially required in order for Porsche to keep up with the rest of the competition in the class.