View Single Post
      05-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #31
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacht3 View Post
I actually think the more realistic scenario is Porsche adds additional models. GT remains the "somewhat limited" track model but goes turbo or hybrid next generation. Especially with Porsche being focused on records and lap times, they won't be able to keep up with the times their competitions' next-gen models are setting if they stay NA.

They then add things like "heritage" editions, more akin to the 911R in terms of "special"-ness but more of them throughout the generation.

We're already likely going to see it with the 992. There are substantiated rumors of a Carrera RS (not GT RS) and some other heritage editions being added to the mix.

Think about it, people would still scoop up the GT cars, but their best customers would have a line out the door for the "special" NA cars.

I've also heard some rumors (from rather credible folks) that the 911 will go mid-engine soon (share a platform with the next-gen Huracan and R8 if the R8 isn't killed) and then we have a handful of special rear-engine heritage editions sprinkled in. Sounds like blasphemy at first, until you realize that the Audi group (VW group, I guess) is becoming more and more homogenous, sharing parts across platforms, maximizing profit AND that the RSR and some of the race-built 911s are already mid-engine because it was essentially required in order for Porsche to keep up with the rest of the competition in the class.
Yea I’ve heard this too. I guess I hope they stay NA as much as possible as long as possible.

Given Porsche is still top of the game for street cars, if they go mid engine for the street 911s it’s all over for everyone.

The mid-engined RSR crushed everyone last year in IMSA GTLM so it’s proven itself.

Last edited by Funf6cyl; 05-06-2020 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0