View Single Post
      10-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #3768
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I remember. Seatbelts were those things you stuffed down between the seat cushion and the backrest cushion. Thank God my folks were good drivers. My Dad started driving in his early teens while working as a yard jockey for a trucking company. Then he drove trucks for decades. When he died at 79, he had one ticket on his record, and that was for parking facing the wrong way on a street.
Mom and dad traded in their '49 Ford for a VW microbus in 1958. Neither vehicle had seatbelts. Dad had many speeding tickets in the Ford, but none in the '58 VW. I'm sure the lack of HP had a lot to do with that. Heh!

Any, despite dad's sometimes aggressive driving, we survived without any accidents. Still, long trips such as vacations were stressful. With the VW, dad practiced what I later called, "Energy management." After a long, slow climb up a hill he go like hell down the other side and pass the cars that passed him while going up the hill. On the level he'd draft semi's while watching oncoming traffic closely. When a gap in the traffic was coming our way, he was on the throttle well before the traffic gap was available, slowly accelerating. Just as the gap appeared he'd zoom out into the opposing lane and sort of slingshot past the semi truck. Just barely.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0