View Single Post
      04-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
There was someone who wrote an article were they did 9 dyno runs with the M5. The first run gave the highest reading and the next 7 runs gave less and less top end HP. In the end there was a 50hp gap between the highest and lowest run. Then on the 9th run power was higher again and in the middle between the top and low results... This backs up CL's claim about dyno inconsistencies with the M5. But then again, why are more and more aftermarket companies providing dyno runs with comparable base line runs and seemingly consistent power gains and curves? They are dynoing with the hoods open and just a regular fan (based on some of the videos and pictures out there), and yet they get similar and consistent results.

They claimed that the car was delivered to them "by the manufacturer" for this dyno run (indicating that BMW doesn't mind dynoing your car).

And I find it VERY unlikely that BMW has actively programmed a "dyno map" that the ECU looks up to give false HP readings and that this map gives HIGHER hp than under normal use. It would be the other way around if BMW did not want you to dyno the car. They would then make a map that decreases engine power and runs the engine in "safe mode". It doesn't seem likely that the high readings are down to a "dyno safe map" from BMW...
Agreed. Logically it doesn't really make sense at all. And I seriously doubt Eisenmann, Remus and Akrapovic are making these up.
Appreciate 0