View Single Post
      04-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
I agree with what your saying.. basically it doesn't logically make any sense..

Which leads me to think, maybe everyone is looking at this all wrong and backwards.

What if the ECU on the F10 M5 has no type of "programmed file" for dynoing. Maybe the ECU is just simply the most advanced one in an M car (and BMW car) to date.. and it is more "adaptive" than prior ECU's. Therefore, when the M5 is placed on a dyno, the ECU realizes that something isn't right, and it therefore tries to adapt to the situation (such as by throttling up and down).

Logically, is BMW and M wanted the car to resist dynoing, it would make much more sense to have the car enter some sort of safe mode as you mentioned.

Maybe Akra and other German tuners have a way to prevent the ECU from attempting to adapt and or perform corrections. Such as they know exactly how to dyno the car.

ColdList mentioned that BMW produced a 20+ page manual on how to dyno the F10 M5 (if I remember correctly). This could further verify my theory that the ECU is not programmed to resist dynoing, but it is a simply a very advanced ECU that monitors and adapts, therefore the corrections it makes when on a dyno result in unreliable results/figures. If that's the case, it could be possible that this is a feature, and one is able to turn it on/off via coding. Or, you cannot code it on/off, but instead dyno it under certian preset conditions to prevent the ECU from making corrections.

It makes more sense? What do you guys think..
I think thats probably one of the better explanations of the issue. And with the research dollars that Akra, Remus and Eisenmann have at their disposal, I don't doubt that they have a way to dyno the S63tu correctly
Appreciate 0