05-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #23
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Thing is, BMW made that car to compete with Porsche and Ferrari. Its a full out effort on what is a brilliant chasis. They just came up very short on the performance end by comparison.
I dont think M division makes anything for just thrills and not outright performance.
They might be able to make a good mid engined car, but it still wont compare to what Porsche or Ferrari can make, CGT, 918 Spyder, etc.
I find that hard to believe. Do you have any marketing source, or some sort of statement that the car was built to compete against Porsche or Ferrari (Ferrari...really bro)? I recall watching BMW press videos saying that it was simply a clubracer for the hardcore M3 fans that wanted something more capable to take to the track without having to tow it back home. You're correct in saying it's a brilliant engineering exercise and the improvements upon the standard M3 chassis are noteworthy, but the base chassis is still a more practical coupe shape as opposed to a low-slung sports car, and the weight balance is still short of optimal for a high-strung performance car.

And M cars have always been about fun. They're fast, but they're more about sublime oversteer action than anything else.

I think BMW could come close to matching something coming out of Porsche and Ferrari if they were ever granted the chance to blow some R&D mula on a mid-engined chassis, but I don't know if that'll ever happen. They know how to engineer a proper suspension setup and make a FR perform nearly as well as a lot of MR/RR cars, and their engines are top-notch, so I don't see why they couldn't do well.
Appreciate 0