View Single Post
      11-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 (GO5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDreamerNYC View Post
Hi all- this forum has a wealth of information and has been very helpful so far while I piece together my desired build for a potential X5 order. So far I have the following:

2020 X5 xDrive40i:
Dark Graphite Metallic
Standard wheels
Black Vernasca Leather
Fineline Stripe Brown High Gloss Wood trim

Convenience Package
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Parking Assistance Package
Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering Wheel

MSRP for this build comes to just under $68k and I’ll be targeting around a 10% discount before incentives (only qualify for USAA as I don’t currently have a car - NYC based and this would be a total splurge).

Anyway, I have some room to play if I want but I am not totally sure that I’m sold on any of the other extras. A few questions:

How durable is the leather and is there a big difference in quality / comfort between the Veronasca and Merino or just bragging rights as the more expensive has a nicer looking (to me) stitch pattern? The test drive car actually just had the sensatec which apart from the general disbelief of not having leather standard in a car with this price point actually felt pretty nice. Reason I ask on durability is my wife is pregnant with our first child and there’s a likelihood of some spills to say the least, lol.

Is the HUD worth the $1200 upgrade fee to the premium package? It was definitely cool but also a bit distracting - maybe you get used to it - I liked that the sat radio stations appeared when using the steering wheel changer ... can you configure the dash to display the same? Otherwise the dash does show the navigation so it doesn’t seem that necessary. But it was cool. This is one of the items I’m most torn about.

Seats - I know there have been some threads on the virtues and drawbacks of the multicontour seats. First, are the standard seats the so called “sport seats” I’ve seen mentioned elsewhere? It seems most find the multi contour seats to be more comfortable (apart from headrest depth setting) - how do they compare in terms of lower back support? I have a bad back and tend to get sore during long car rides and thought the standard seats in the test car were nice and provided firm support for the lower back and I may be concerned about not liking the upgrades seats unless I got a chance to test drive those also.

Wheels - I’ve seen a lot of love for the 20” wheels, tho it seems that most also suggest pairing it with the air suspension. Again I’ll probably have to drive a model with the air suspension to get a feel for it. As it was I enjoyed how the standard wheels and suspension drove / rode - handled well, road noise wasn’t noticing loud, and cornering felt good and tight while still providing a comfy ride overall. Would the air suspension be too soft with the standard wheel setup?

Are either of the upgraded stereo options worth it? The normal stereo sounded good apart from when I connected my phone to Apple CarPlay over Bluetooth and played music from Spotify. Tho I have the highest quality files saved on my phone the Bluetooth always generates a degradation in sound quality as the bandwidth isn’t high enough to stream the full quality (lesser compressed) versions. It would be better if we could connect our phones to the car via WiFi (similar to how Sonos works). Is that even an option? Or is there an option to play music from Spotify from the phone while it is connected by cable? That would solve the audio quality as well.

Anyway, it is really a next level car and especially with the autonomous driving features should be a pleasure on long road trips. But it is clearly easy to go overboard with the options tho this build I out together is relatively economical. Looking forward to your input on m my questions and thank you again for taking the time to read and respond!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDreamerNYC View Post
Hi all- this forum has a wealth of information and has been very helpful so far while I piece together my desired build for a potential X5 order. So far I have the following:

2020 X5 xDrive40i:
Dark Graphite Metallic
Standard wheels
Black Vernasca Leather
Fineline Stripe Brown High Gloss Wood trim

Convenience Package
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Parking Assistance Package
Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering Wheel

MSRP for this build comes to just under $68k and I'll be targeting around a 10% discount before incentives (only qualify for USAA as I don't currently have a car - NYC based and this would be a total splurge).

Anyway, I have some room to play if I want but I am not totally sure that I'm sold on any of the other extras. A few questions:

How durable is the leather and is there a big difference in quality / comfort between the Veronasca and Merino or just bragging rights as the more expensive has a nicer looking (to me) stitch pattern? The test drive car actually just had the sensatec which apart from the general disbelief of not having leather standard in a car with this price point actually felt pretty nice. Reason I ask on durability is my wife is pregnant with our first child and there's a likelihood of some spills to say the least, lol.

Is the HUD worth the $1200 upgrade fee to the premium package? It was definitely cool but also a bit distracting - maybe you get used to it - I liked that the sat radio stations appeared when using the steering wheel changer ... can you configure the dash to display the same? Otherwise the dash does show the navigation so it doesn't seem that necessary. But it was cool. This is one of the items I'm most torn about.

Seats - I know there have been some threads on the virtues and drawbacks of the multicontour seats. First, are the standard seats the so called "sport seats" I've seen mentioned elsewhere? It seems most find the multi contour seats to be more comfortable (apart from headrest depth setting) - how do they compare in terms of lower back support? I have a bad back and tend to get sore during long car rides and thought the standard seats in the test car were nice and provided firm support for the lower back and I may be concerned about not liking the upgrades seats unless I got a chance to test drive those also.

Wheels - I've seen a lot of love for the 20" wheels, tho it seems that most also suggest pairing it with the air suspension. Again I'll probably have to drive a model with the air suspension to get a feel for it. As it was I enjoyed how the standard wheels and suspension drove / rode - handled well, road noise wasn't noticing loud, and cornering felt good and tight while still providing a comfy ride overall. Would the air suspension be too soft with the standard wheel setup?

Are either of the upgraded stereo options worth it? The normal stereo sounded good apart from when I connected my phone to Apple CarPlay over Bluetooth and played music from Spotify. Tho I have the highest quality files saved on my phone the Bluetooth always generates a degradation in sound quality as the bandwidth isn't high enough to stream the full quality (lesser compressed) versions. It would be better if we could connect our phones to the car via WiFi (similar to how Sonos works). Is that even an option? Or is there an option to play music from Spotify from the phone while it is connected by cable? That would solve the audio quality as well.

Anyway, it is really a next level car and especially with the autonomous driving features should be a pleasure on long road trips. But it is clearly easy to go overboard with the options tho this build I out together is relatively economical. Looking forward to your input on m my questions and thank you again for taking the time to read and respond!!
I just got my second x5 and would HIGHLY recommend the Premium Package for the HUD, gesture and remote start. I couldn't imagine driving a BMW without the HUD due to all the valuable information it helps with.... making life behind the wheel easier and much, much safer. Especially if you get the Driver Assist Pro, you have to have the HUD.

The leather to me is a feel thing... with a small child, I went with the regular leather. I would also recommend the darker colors. The ivory and beige look great, but very hard to keep clean. In just a couple weeks, my ivory driver seat is already showing a blue shade from me jeans.

I've had the Harmon Kardon and regular stereo and didn't think the upgrade was worth it. That said, I'm. It a big music person, so take it with a grain of salt from me.

Hope that helps, ask any other questions you need help with. I love my G05