View Single Post
      11-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #15
mcbmw88
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x3 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
IME the wheel protection may be worth something because both I and my wife are notorious wheel destroyers. Wheels on my F15 look like Picasso had a field day w/them practicing sculpting. Had the wheel protection warranty on a MB S550 few years back and evey time I had a scrape I'd just tell the dealer to fix it next time I went in for something and it came back as new every time "for free" ... it was great. AFAIK it will cost me now $150-200 per wheel to fix them. And then every time I screw one up after that.

As for "tire protection", I am not sure what the fine print says, but I've been using the free tire insurance that comes with TireRack tires for nails and such... I've learned to love it. TR has really good protection, its for 2 years (most shops only have it for 1 yr), and they pay. The 3rd party they run it through is a bit wonky, and they don't always know what they are doing, but mostly, if you buy the new/replacement tires from TR its a smooth transaction. AND, the tires rarely last more than 2 years, IME, so the coverage fits the tire lifespan. SO... the BMW "tire protection" unless it covers 100% for life time of BMW tires or something w/no depreciation/prorating for tread wear etc, is a waste IMO.
I believe the tire protection is

Quote:
Provides replacement coverage if your wheels or tires are structurally damaged by road hazards like potholes, nails, or glass. Add Optional Cosmetic Coverage for cosmetic wheel repair.
I called around different insurance providers to see if they offered extended warranties -- some do and some don't.

I'm curious - how do you all keep your maintenance costs free or as low as possible? The BMW warranties seem great but the cost just doesn't seem appropriate.
Appreciate 0