Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
It varies by state:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/w...d-you-pay.html

Notes:

1. Maximum sales tax
Often you pay a combination of state, county and local taxes. This is the estimated maximum tax you should be charged, depending on what city you live in. The sales tax rates were sourced from sales-tax automation company Avalara.

2. Average DMV fees
The typical amount it will cost to register a new vehicle in your state.

3. Trade-in sales tax credit?
If there is a "Y" in this column, it means that you will pay sales tax only on the difference between your new-car purchase and the value of your trade-in. If there is an "N" in the column, it means that you will pay tax on the full amount of your new-car purchase.

4. Are incentives taxed?
A "Y" in this column means that the buyer will pay tax on the purchase price before the manufacturer rebate is applied.

5. Doc fee limits
This will tell you if the documentation fee is regulated by the state and the maximum allowed amount.

6. Median doc fee
This is the typical amount you can expect to pay for a dealer documentation fee. In this case, we've provided the median amount charged per state, rather than the average, because we think it gives a truer representation of what most buyers will actually pay.
Good post but I think that table is out dated. I know for a fact IL has a $179ish doc fee as of 2019 and is adjusted annually. It's easiest for posters to just share that doc fee based on the state they register as they would know first hand.

That's why I was suggesting when we share prices we should include doc fee. Getting a $800 doc fee vs $200 is almost 1% (If we assume a 60k-70k range build).
My point is it varies by state, individuals can and should google/search doc fees and not rely on an enthusiast auto forum to get all their answers.

Appreciate 0