View Single Post
      02-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #52
Atchoom
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I've driven both the supercharged (2018) - a lot - and turbocharged (2020) - test drives - versions of the Q7, and honestly didn't perceive a significant difference between them. There is a definite lag in pressing the throttle and acceleration - but I don't believe attributable to the engine. It's been reported numerous times in reviews for both the Q7 and Q5, and I've never seen the exact cause defined. My own personal suspicion is the dual-clutch transmission - and it doesn't happen predictably or consistently - usually from a dead stop to a quick acceleration: there is a distinct pause in the tranny catching up to pressing the accelerator, but not always, and not to the same degree - sometimes almost 0.5 seconds I'd estimate, sometimes almost none. One of the reasons it's such a joy to be back in BMW - never experienced anything like it in any BMW I owned.
That lag issue is quite known and due to 1/ the transmission (tiptronic, single clutch, a bit clumsy) and 2/ power limitations for emission compliance. I have an A4 3.0 Tdi and my colleague the Q7 - same engine. If there has to be only one reason why I come back to BMW it is this one. And well, there are more...

For the second reason, they changed their ECU mapping after the VW "scandal" on emissions. The difference between a 2016 and a 2018 model is very clear. My 2016 MY already has that lag, it is worse now;

BMW transmissions are so much more responsive...

My colleague has just signed up for the new Q7 60 TFSiE (PH).. We'll see. Not been tested yet
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50