BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
I might give BMW a try if College remains online.
I started at a BMW dealer (Porsche+Audi, too) within 6-months after graduating with an architecture degree. I now know, from selling BMWs to a few practicing architects, that I've made more money in my job than what they claim on their credit applications. But that's after over 40-years doing it.

My dealership general managers (and believe me I've had many) will often send a new-hire to me for advice. I always ask them if there isn't something else they could be doing for a job. Seriously, the hours suck, the pay sucks, the benefits suck, and your dealership doesn't give a rat's ass about your welfare.

The Peter Principle is at work at dealerships where you are elevated to positions where you've exceeded your competency and that's where you sit. No one gives a crap about what car brand they sell, or if they know anything about it. It's all numbers.

Now there are exceptions, but as a percentage it may be nearly unmeasurable. Look at any dealership and take the average time-on-the-job of the sales force. It often won't exceed three-years. It will burn you out, and they don't care. Don't hit your goals, and they'll hire three more starry-eyed youths to make sure you can't earn a living. Take time off around the holidays? Just better off not coming back. Work 60-hours, or more, and earn hourly what a fast-food employee would.

There are exceptions, again, who've been around a while. I'm one. Still most will try to talk you out of it, especially if you have yet to finish school. I know times are tough right now but they won't be getting better in the car biz, either, during the pandemic. We've already had one round of furloughs and layoffs and we're planning for another.

I started back when the guy who owned his store lived up the street. That was a great 15-year run. That's not the case anymore. They guy who owns our store is the shareholder in a corporation 600 miles away. They survey you for your satisfaction and suggestions and then ignore your input. And I've been a salesperson, service writer, service manager, sales manager, as well as general manager over my career.

If you truly love BMW, or just cars in general, why ruin a good hobby by making a dealership your career? Look at the history of those in charge of most mega dealers today. They were all bean-counters in other industries. They don't value their run-of-the-mill dealership employees other than to pay lip-service and send paper awards for longevity. They steal your money, pay only minimums on most cars because the managers give them away to make their numbers, and manipulate what you earn through excessive packs and lot charges taken out of your "profit".

Got to a college offering degrees in automotive technology and work for a manufacturer. It doesn't pay much, either, but it should be more fun and less stressful being paid a salary rather than relying on a manipulated commission plan.

Last edited by BMWCCA1; 11-21-2020 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 3
Mosaud19983891.00
chassis6373.50
W///7435.50