06-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #18
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
Yea that thing is so weird. I have premium microfiber and the moment it touches that grill it gets stuck. Its so hard to clean the edges without touching it. Maybe next time I'll try air spray. What a PITA!
How difficult would it be to remove the speaker grill and refinish it in some "cleaning friendly" material? Strip and paint it, cover it with a fine woven fabric/grill cloth - I mean totally strip anything that is covering the holes from the bottom and top and then spray glue the fabric of choice. I don't know but it has to be a royal pita the way it is. I'm always cleaning my windshield and dash, can't imagine having a sticky rubber thing in the middle of my dash that I have to carefully avoid, it would drive me to do something with it and it doesn't seem as though going back to the dealer is the answer, you would just get more of what you already have.

I have a pair of binoculars that have some kind of a smooth rubbery coating. For the first few years, they were fine but then the coating became sticky. Not the kind of sticky that left gunk on your hands but a strange sort of sticky feeling, no one liked touching them. Same thing happened to a battery powered pepper mill we have. I stripped the rubbery covering off with lacquer thinner and under that covering was a smooth shiny black plastic that now looks good and feels good in your hands.

What material is the speaker grill made from? Metal, plastic ???
Appreciate 0