View Single Post
      12-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #1212
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Theoretically one only needs the Z51 pack to track the C8, $65k. That is right in the wheel house of the M2. Tough choice. The rear seat of the M2 is useless and the dakota leather in my buddies comp is horrible for a M car.
Theoretically you don't really need ANYTHING to track the C8, although the all season tires it came with will likely be a hinderance...For $5,000 it basically pays for a new set of tires and rims if you chose not to get the Z51, which gives you the flexibility to buy r-comps or slicks to complement your all-season for the street.

So straight up, the C8 non Z51 would be a pretty good direct comparison to the M2 Competition. For track use, the M2 Competition would have a leg up on convenience, but down almost 100HP. You can carry a set of wheels and tires in the M2 plus tools to change said r-comp or slicks on track, while the Corvette you have to drive to and from the track on said r-comps. Not a huge deal breaker, but it does dramatically shorten the life of your r-comp depending on which one you use (NT-01? No big deal. Hoosier A7? Probably wouldn't be my choice to drive on them to and from a track).

Hypothetically speaking, if I had to make a choice today, and if I don't already have my C7 Grand Sport AND my MZ4 Coupe, I'd be cross shopping these two cars, and I'd likely pick the M2 Competition based on what I know now.

10 years later? When my daughter is in her 4th year in college? Different story. I'd probably go with the 2 seater Corvette. Which puts GM in a bind. I'm the ideal age and demographic for the car, but pricing and practicality wise, it rules out the car unless I want to sacrifice one more parking spot in the garage and driveway. As is, their problem with me as a consumer is that they made the C7 chassis too good, and specifically the C7 Grand Sport, and the C8, despite all of its promises of a ground breaking paradigm shift, is not much of a performance improvement on track but demands a 20-25% price premium (I bought my C7 Grand Sport, 3LT w/ Z07 package, for $65K new. Same C7 Z51 would cost upwards of $90K for LESS performance).

Which isn't to say, to those in my demographics, that the C8 isn't a fantastic car and deal. For those looking at a Corvette for the first time, it's still a game changer. But they haven't given ME any compelling reason to want to trade in my C7 GS in a few more years though.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00