08-31-2020, 10:19 PM   #98
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
You'd be surprised at how many GLE 350's with the 4-bangers that MB sells/leases, however they also have the brand prestige to do so and get away with it (aka buy it for the badge), while Genesis doesn't.
I really think this is a move by the Koreans to take on the Japanese, not the Germans. Lexus and Acura (Infiniti is all but dead) arent anywhere close to the level of technology or frankly, refinement that the germans offer. But Lexus and to a lesser degree Acura, have built a reputation of having rock solid, reliable vehicles. So someone who wants to upgrade to a luxury brand but have been used to buying their cars outright and keeping them for a while have been buying Japanese. Hyundai is offering a very very competitive warranty to convince buyers that 'hey we are luxurious too but cheaper than all the other brands, AND we're reliable so try us'. This is very much like the first LS400 taking on the S class, which was *the* standard bearer. The LS400 was cheaper, well built and reliable giving some buyers pause and then establishing Lexus as a major player. I seriously doubt neither the Koreans nor the Germans spend very much time thinking about each other lol.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00