10-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #8
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Because when the LFA came out, sports cars in general were still advancing in the directions enthusiasts wanted/expected them to. The only thing holding the LFA back was its price in my opinion. Then around 2015 everything shifted way too heavily towards efficiency, insulation/isolation, and crash test regs, so now all of the cars which were glossed over 10 years ago are all of a sudden more interesting and sought after. I don't blame the enthusiast perception for changing at all when you look at the majority of what's on sale today. It's mostly lame and if it isn't, it looks terrible or polarizing at best.

I've said this many times before and it's not without exceptions, but in general, modern cars suck. This is why older sports cars are rising in value much sooner than ever before, regardless of the pandemic. I consider the new Z06 to be the swan song for the good old days. The last greatest car before the electric takeover.
Well said. For much of the last decade things have gone south for enthusiasts. Electric steering came to BMW and Porsche, more turbocharging, cars got unreasonably heavy, too much tech, planned ICE bans, etc. There are still many great cars being made, but they are becoming few-and-far in between with high price tags.

I think the late 00s and early 10s will go down as one of the best eras for car enthusiasts. Cars had a good balance between driving engagement, tech/creature comforts, price, etc.
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50