03-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
earlyapex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
BMI DOES work for the majority of people, we're just such a fat nation we say "That's rediculous it can't work! I'm healthy even if my BMI is 30!". The only place the MBI doesn't work is folks who have very low fat reserves but very large muscles (aka ripped). If you don't have a 6 pack, you still have too much fat to be claiming muscle. I've put on 22 lbs of muscle before and still been at 25.2 BMI. If you think BMI is crap, then you need to lose weight.
I think we found the scrawny/nerdy guy. BMI couldn't be more idiotic. I'm in good shape, run/bike/lift 4 to 5 times a week and have consistently measured at 10% body fat via various methods. I can scuba dive basically without or with very minimal additional weight.

Several years ago, I worked out for 3 hours a day for six months and ran a half marathon in an hour and a half. I had like 3% or 4% bodyfat and weighed 182lbs.

I weigh 195lbs and am 5'11". According to the midpoint of the BMI (22), I should be 157lbs.

In other words, the BMI says I should have NEGATIVE 10% body fat. It couldn't possibly be less worthwhile and is completely irrelevant for any man with the slightest bit of muscle.

It works wonderfully if you are scrawny and can bench press the bar and squat a small watermelon.
Appreciate 0