View Single Post
      04-02-2023, 09:42 AM   #41
freezerdoctor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xdrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32_027 View Post
freezerdoctor thanks for doing this and posting about your experience!

Do you have any video clips? Or can I message you to connect for some clips?

Here’s what I captured from your notes:
  • Minimize how many things you disassemble during the process; only loosen the airbox (this provides enough wiggle room for your arm through to the turbo clamp).
  • Remove the chassis stiffener plate – there are about 10-12 bolts and this is the most helpful part as it provides full access to the exhaust system. Ensure to re-torque to proper spec when you putting it back on.
  • Use ramps (and raise to highest setting with air ride).
  • Get a friend to help (you didn't mention that, but I would - makes it fun).
Any feedback/advice outside of that?

It took you about 4 hours, but that time included reading the instructions – but would probably take about 2-2.5 hours of actual work if doing again. So someone could realistically budget 3 hours total, max.

If you could go back in time, would you do it again yourself? Or pay a shop?
Would you say, a shop should charge no longer than 1-hour?

Would you do a flash-tune?
There are some features that are fun to play around with - cold-start delete, start-up roar, and customizing exhaust settings to liking (not a fan of burbles myself, but you have the ability to play around with settings).
Hey F32,

I have a before video, and have not yet recorded a post-install video. I will try to get that done next week (currently working on installing MSS kit this weekend).

I would definitely do the downpipes again myself if needed, I got a quote from a local independent, BMW focused service center, and they wanted $900 to install the pipe. That seemed nuts, so I decided to do it myself at that point. (same company gave me a quote of $2200 for the MSS install!!??)

I think 3 hours would be a good target to budget for, but allow more if it is your first time. I still think a shop would charge a minimum of 2 hours, simply because I think it would take them slightly over an hour (maybe), and they would round to the next hour. Just my thoughts on it.

I do have a piggyback tune from Carbon, and when/if they come out with their ECU flash tune, I would do that also.

I also have the bimmertech app to adjust settings on my own and tinker with settings a little.

I'll let you know when I get the clips uploaded.
2021 Toyota Tacoma
1997 Jeep Wrangler (Original Owner)
Appreciate 1
gx5_027204.50