Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post
Hi!
I am looking for a thorough list of "hidden"/forgotten about/not-known-by-all features. Some of these features I have figured out by myself by chance, like where you in a BMW (at least F-models) when cruising in Manual mode can hold/long press the left gear paddle to quickly enter the optimal gear shift for maximal power (cruise in 8th gear and 100 kmh, long-pressing the left gear paddle will immediately shift to 3rd gear). Sort of like kick down, but without any changes to the power input since the gas pedal is stationary.

I am sure there are plenty more of these features not known to most people. Could you please point me to such a list, or give me some examples of more features like this?

A list of features, some (maybe all of them) might be known to most of you:

List
  • Long-press left gear paddle shift (automatic transmission) - chooses optimal gear for max power
  • Side mirror selection switch - turn right to make right outside mirror tilt down when in reverse
  • If in Drive, and you have changed gears with the paddle sifter (to briefly enter manual mode), you can long-press the right paddle shifter to immediately enter Drive mode again, in stead of waiting several seconds for the transmission to go back in Drive by itself
  • There seems to be some confusion about the kick down among some drivers. On automatic cars (most brands), if you step through the initial resistance on the gas pedal, you will enable "kick down". This makes the car down shift to the optimal gear (revs in the 4-5000 area) and gives you max power.
  • On most newer BMWs, you can enable this "three blinks" signal thing, with just one tap on the signal leveler. If you want just one or two "blinks", I believe you can hold the signal leveler till the two blinks are executed, then release.
  • If you want to start the engine on a hybrid BMW, you can either enter Neutral and press the gas pedal slightly, or - if you are driving in hybrid mode - you can just tap the gear leveler into "Manual/sport". I do this if I know I want to accelerate e.g. from an intersection.
  • If you have the shifter over to the left in sport and turn off the engine or press park it will automatically reset itself upright.
  • You can save your favourite iDrive shortcuts to the physical buttons 1-9 on the dash.
  • If the electronic handbrake is pulled while driving the car will automatically come to a safe stop and put on the hazard warning lights.
  • When in Drive/reverse, just open drivers door and release break pedal and the car will enter Park automatically.

(I know these are not hidden features, and they are probably explained well in the user manual. But who reads the manual.. . And sorry for the bad english..).
Starting the engine in N doesn't seem to work anymore. It did in my 40e. I sometimes started the engine like this when I wanted to hear it but the 4 cylinder wasn't very impressive. With the 45e it would even be nicer to be able to hear the 6 cylinder with the window open at stand still (I have acoustic glass). The only was to forcefully start the engine is to put the shifter into sport/manual but the it's not in neutral anymore.
Thank you! Driving my 330e f30 waiting for delivery of G05 (on the ship Tortugas from USA to Europe!). It works on the f30
Appreciate 0