Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebseb View Post
The specifications for BMW X5 45e are back on their US website. If you check BMW UK though, it says total torque is 600 N-m (442.5 lb-ft), Engine torque is 450 N-m (332 lb-ft) and Electric Engine torque is 265 N-m (195 lb-ft). If you add 450+265 = 715 N-m, so clearly that's wrong. The electric engine torque is 150 N-m (110 lb-ft). BMW US shows 77 lb-ft.

I initially thought maybe the electric torque is less in the US because the battery is limited to a lower capacity but, total torque should also be lower so I'm pretty sure they just messed up.
Combustion engine and electric motors have different torque curves so maybe that is a factor and it is not a simple addition to calculate the combined max torque. It could also be such that electric motor puts out its max torque when the combustion engine isn't working and somehow when working together with the engine the electric torque output is limited.

Really I am just brainstorming but it is pretty obvious to me that an electric motor capable of producing 111 hp is not pushing out only 77 lbs ft of torque...
That is correct. You can't just add both torque values.
Appreciate 0