Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wknddrivr View Post
His explanation of the driving experience is spot on....the car is not as exciting as you would expect, much more luxurious and supple. When you're driving along, you have no idea what its capable of until you throw the car into a corner or really get on the gas. Even the exhaust is extremely quiet on the inside (yes the startup is amazing but it quiets down once you get going and barely hear anything while you're cruising)

Even though it doesn't have a hardcore sports feel, its probably the most satisfying car I've driven because it blends sport and luxury so damn well. The ride is A LOT better than my 2017 530i m-sport...and yet the handling is much better too. It does everything in a satisfying way. It's not raw like an E36 M3, which I drive on the weekend, but its more satisfying overall because it feels so much more expensive/luxurious than even the modern 5 series, does everything so well, and still gets you completely enveloped in the driving experience
It's funny how we wear rose-tinted glasses with the old BMWs. Obviously they are great cars, but sometimes people will talk about how hardcore the E39 M5 and E46 M3 used to be, to make a point on how soft the new ones are. I was watching Tiff Needell's original E46 M3 review and he says "It's no longer a sports saloon, not even a sports coupe, it's moved the 3 series into the GT category." I know everything is relative, but it's still funny how these same things have been said for almost 20 years.
Agreed. I would not give up my G30 for a 20 year old E39.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00