View Single Post
      06-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #22
shipo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 530i 5-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo26
wow umm...i dont think i can even stand not changing the oil for even 6000miles that would bug me so much!!! i guess iam old fasioned but my e30 still runs like a dream, and i push the car very hard!!
How often do you change the oil in your E30?

I ask because the difference between the environment inside you E30 mill and the one in the E90 is like night and day. Consider the following:

- The E90 has a seven quart oil sump, meaning that it holds nearly twice as much oil as other 3.0 liter engines (I don’t know how large the E30 sump is). That means fewer trips through the engine getting the #$*^%~!@ beat out of it, allowing it to last longer. Hence a longer OCI for the E90.
- The E90 runs on fully synthetic oil which is far more able to withstand the acid causing effects of holding water in suspension (until it boils off) than the oil your E30 was designed to run on. Hence a longer OCI for the E90.
- That same synthetic oil is also capable of holding far greater amounts of particulate matter in suspension than the conventional oil your car was designed to run on
- The E90 burns fuel that is considerably cleaner than the fuel that BMW was burning in the E30 prototypes, which they used to calculate the OCI for your car. Hence a longer OCI for the E90.
- The E90 uses a very advanced electronic system to optimize each and every combustion event so that the maximum amount of power and the minimum amount of pollution is generated from every gallon of fuel. Hence a longer OCI for the E90.

Sum it all up and you have oil that is far more capable coupled with an engine that produces the barest fraction of the combustion byproducts of your E30 engine, added to a sophisticated algorithm that determines when the oil is used up, and you have a car that can easily attain 15,000 miles or more between oil changes (assuming the proper oil, which as I stated before, is an assumption that I’m not willing to make about BMW oil).

As an example, if one was to use a 5,000 mile OCI for an E30, they would be doing far more damage to that engine than if they were to use a 15,000 mile OCI on an E90.

Best Regards,
Shipo
Appreciate 0