GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondi View Post
Would you please expand a bit on wheels and tires? Wouldn’t it be easier with some pressure wash?

It is the toughest area for me to clean on my x6…
Sure ... I can try, though it's tricky and there are a lot of variables ... so if you tell me more about your situation I might have better thoughts, but generally:

First, by far the easiest way to maintain wheels/tires generally is to get them super clean in one super session with a pressure washer, drain, etc etc, and the coat the wheel face, barrels, calipers, (maybe something like gTechniq C5? Wheel Armor or I use TWFW, but Seal & Shine would probably be better) and dress the tire (I like CarPro Perl). That makes maintenance washes thereafter pretty easy and can usually be done more/less like a rinseless wash (if there's no pressure washer and/or drainage.) Until they get hammered and/or the coating start to fail in 6-12 months depending how abusive you are.

If you DO have routine access to a drain and money for a portable pressure washer (e.g., like a Worx Hydroshot) then you use that to spray them down first, then I'd do a RW spray down & dwell, rinse, then assess. If it's just light dust/dirt left then do a normal RW at that point. If not, I'd do a RW spray, and then agitate the wheel face with a boar's hair brush and then rinse. Did that work? If so, more of that.

If they're fairly slammed, though, then you'll have to use something like P&S Brake Buster. I'd spray that on, let dwell for about 5 min, then scrub the tire with a tire brush, then use a very soft bristled boar's hair detailing brush to agitate the wheel faces all over, then rinse off thoroughly, then do a normal RW.

If you have no access to drain and/or water then there are some options but they start getting tricky.

If you have a hydroshot, though, it's usually pretty easy to find a parking lot, pop the hatch, stick the hose in a 3 gallon Whole Foods water bottle full of de-i water, and then spray them down and continue as above.

Another thing that's really handy is a 2L or 3L Marolex pump sprayer. you can use it for RW solution, products, or just with De-i water to rinse off areas gently like door jambs.
Appreciate 0