08-23-2020, 05:41 AM   #11
Finito84
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar85 View Post
I have been curious to ask when I've seen the discussions, and now seems like a good time...

Why do you use a broker?
That is the eternal question - a) DIY - do it yourself vs b) involving a third party

My in laws have no desire of negotiating and they get a better deal that they would otherwise get from the dealership (the broker is a family friend). He does the transaction from beginning to end and brings you the car and all the paperwork. They just swap one lease for another every three years and the broker takes care of extra mileage and any minor use and tear negotiation. The broker always knows what dealership is more aggressive or what it is going on at that time.

A lot of the people in our office building uses this broker and even referred him to a few friends and clients, getting always great feedback.

If the third party can generate more value than the cost, then, it might make sense. Value might be cheaper than you could get it, not dealing with the whole process, etc.

For me, I am a foreigner and I think they will rip me off. My only US dealership experience to check a car (Audi Q8) was not great as they offered a fair price for the trade in but no discount on the new one. I did not buy it as the sales person was not straight forward, plus I am more interested in the X5. Honestly, I was not ready and I did not do my homework, so I assume my part of responsibility.

In my case, thinking about getting the X5 by the end of the year, I told the broker what I am looking for and checking posts here that have been fundamental to decide on the X5.

I assume majority of the members of this forum would choose DIY as I see people here taking action and messaging several dealers, and negotiating with them.

-----

Regarding the main question of this thread, I have also seen brokers more inclined versus the leasing maybe because they have recurring business every three years? Leases have more variables to consider and makes it better to get deals, so client is happy? Also, lease allows to have a relatively new car for the second hand market. Not sure of the correct answer, but a few thoughts cross my mind.
Appreciate 1