View Single Post
      10-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The 45e might be useful as an all EV vehicle for all of your commuting. THe advantage on a longer trip is you can stop, go, almost anywhere and refuel the tank. If you want to use the SuperCharger network, you better be on a main road or like maybe a big mall...forget going off of the beaten path unless you're going to stay overnight so you can recharge IF you can find a place to plug in.

Tesla still has the highest warranty claim dollar outlay in the industry, implying to me, at least, that their QA/QC isn't great. I really don't want the majority of my vehicle interaction to be on a central screen. From an engineering viewpoint, while the small, cylindrical battery has some advantages, it also means MANY more points of potential failure. Some of their battery packs can have over 8K cells, where most of the BMWs, being larger, are generally less than a couple hundred...lots fewer chances of something going wrong either in the build, or through a defect, and the modules can be fairly quickly replaced.

Certainly, your max acceleration isn't the same, but the X5 45e isn't bad, and certainly more than enough for running around town. I've not found it really wanting out on the road, but I'm not a particularly aggressive driver, either. last (and only) long trip where I could not recharge, saw about 28-mpg, fully loaded, with speeds around 75-mph most of the way. We were at about max GVW most of the 2000 miles, but nothing on the roof or behind.

FWIW, the EPA gives EV manufacturers two different schemes to report efficiency...Tesla is the only one that uses that optional range calculation...as a result, you're not comparing apples to apples when comparing it to any other EV - their method appears in the real world, to be optimistic, i.e., inflates the max range compared to everyone else.
Appreciate 3
FCX52383.50
Gmag088.00