09-08-2022, 10:30 PM   #12
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrfun View Post
Glad you got to enjoy Mt Rainier on your way. Weather and clear views have been great lately. I’ve heard that a few popular NPs around the country now require entry reservation(?)
Yes, this is true. Even when I did my big road trip last year, you had to have a bus reservation for Zion National Park. So I recommend before going to any national park, that you go to the NPS website and check out the particulars for that park--hours, fees, special procedures, road openings, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNJ26 View Post
Just out of curiosity, but how exactly is that QX56 totaled? There doesn’t seem to be any kind of damage whatsoever??
That's a reasonable question. In that port picture, the damage is actually on the other side. Left front and rear corners.

Because the car was totaled and insurance wouldn't be fixing it, I did what I could to fix it myself once my daughter bought it back from insurance.

So here's a couple before and after pictures. What you can't really see in the pics is the frame/bracket damage underneath the outer bumper shells. And in the rear pic of the damage, the "before" damage actually has the left corner bumper bent back and hanging off the car.

I used a heat gun, gloves, zip ties, and a screwdriver to bend and shape things back closer to what it should look like. And I bought a replacement rear tail light off eBay and swapped it out. So it still looks beat up, but SO much better. Still rather nice for a college kid's car.

All the aspects of the repair costs, including damage to surrounding body panels, subframe, etc, just exceeded insurance's threshold for repair vs. totaling.

Before:

After:

Before: (again, there's far more damage outside the frame of this pic)

After:

And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0