10-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #245
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
My point is the basis of your ranking of Max, based on his years with Ricciardo, though logical, is not perfect by any means to use that as a basis of saying Hamilton is definitely superior to Max. So until they actually become team mates, all opinions are just speculations. It's when we start believing that speculations are more than what they are, then that is when it becomes fanboism.
I guess what I find quite bizarre is the proposition from some that Verstappen would perform better than Hamilton in a Mercedes.
Over the decades every now and then a driver with an obvious natural ability comes into F1.
In the modern era drivers like Senna, Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton are drivers who from the moment they got in the car they stood out...and one of the ways was by comparison with their team mates.
Its an inaccurate and flawed metric that is true...but it has held up well in most cases.
Then there are other drivers who are fast racers (such as Verstappen) who at first sight look like they might be special but lack that particular natural ability to drive constantly at the limit without overdriving and losing control.
BTW not even a Hamilton fan per se...after all the years I've been watching F1 I no longer invest in one particular driver...but I am in awe of his abilities.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00