View Single Post
      05-24-2023, 04:15 PM   #1
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

50e in winter stuck in a jam for many hours

Bit of a hypothetical question, but also not as this has happened to me…

So the scenario is, it’s winter and cold, travelling A>B and get caught in a road closure. The 50e has only say 5 miles of electric range but a full tank of fuel.

Sat stopped in the jam I presume all heating and ventilation will be supplied by the battery with the ICE off, per usual, but what happens when the battery depletes to ‘X’ point? I guess it fires up the ICE and you can sit there for as long as the fuel in the tank holds up?

Will the ICE charge the battery and at some point cut off so again the H&V will be depleting the battery charge until the cycle starts over or will the ICE just remain running continuously?

I know this has been asked before but that’s with 45e. I believe there is talk about the 50e being unable to dump charge back into the battery using the ICE as a generator so I now wonder how it would behave in my scenario, in effect sat for many hours needing to keep the cabin warm.

I’m sure BMW have this covered in their logic, but as ever it’s somewhat obscured from us end users
Appreciate 0