View Single Post
      01-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC (MBB/SS)

I have also thought a lot about this over the last few months since the official launch of the X5M in October. I pretty quickly decided to go with the X5MC.

In full disclosure, my brief deliberation was only between the M50i and X5MC. I never seriously considered the base X5M for two reasons - first, after its spec'd with the options I'd want, the difference from the X5MC similarly spec'd was ~$4k, and 2) you simply can't currently spec a base X5M with certain things offered on the comp version, such as the high gloss black grill surround which is standard on the comp version and an option on the M50i. The special seat belts, black badging and the 17 extra ponies are nice too.

Interestingly, the biggest reason I decided on the X5MC over the M50i is something you didn't mention in your post - the exterior body differences, and in particular the front end and the rear end. I think the front on the X5M/MC is way more aggressive than the M50i, especially in colors that contrast a bit with black. I also like the rear spoiler as well.

The second reason was (unsurprisingly) the nearly 100 more hp you with the X5MC. While one can say it may "only" translate to .3 seconds, that's not nothing...especially in this class of vehicles...and I'm will to pay for it.

The last reason is that I didn't love my color choices with the M50i. I really like MBB with the Silverstone interior...nothing close to that look with the M50i.

Candidly, I'm only concerned about two things with my choice of the X5MC over the M50i:

1. Will the X5MC be too stiff/rough around town? I will probably not ever track mine, so I want something that is still comfortable on the daily, but sporty AF. I don't mind stiff suspensions in general, but I've read quite a few complaints from buyers of the X3MC about its rough ride on this forum. I live in Dallas and the roads aren't bad compared to elsewhere, but it's not all highway driving for me.

2. Given 2020 is the first year and I'll likely get an early allocation (assuming my dealership isn't blowing smoke), will I suffer through a number of first-year issues and bugs. Maybe this is always a risk for any new model of any manufacturer offering lots of tech, but I got one of the first Porsche 991.2s in my area and I had absolutely zero issues with it. That's what I want with this.

Not sure this was all that helpful to you, but it more or less sums up my thinking about your query.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50