09-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #73
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
That is called a torque spike. Notice the difference is large in the beginning and comes way down over the rpm range. A flat torque curve is desired and considered the tuning goal. A torque spike is the exact opposite of what you want. Know that most tuners avoid torque spiking because it nukes trannies.
I should've said MAX wtq +112. On the graph it looks like about +95 wtq low-end and then about +40wtq at high-end rpms which is awesome. But I see what you mean about the decline, it's way more rapid than stock after 4k rpms in comparison. At least the decline rate from mid-3k to 4k rpms is about the same and that's where the thrills are at behind the wheel.

Would performance be better overall if peak toque happens at 3k rpms like stock, instead of peaking a bit later at 3300 rpms? Or would peaking earlier be even worse for overall performance numbers (and for the transmission)?

Also, would having a little less low-end torque MAX output peak earlier help promote a mid-end torque flat curve? I don't understand why it dips so dramatically at 4k rpms.