larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor510 View Post
how to you get started in racing?
Depends what you want to accomplish. I would start by joning the BMW CCA, and checking out what your local chapter has for events. The Lone Star Chapter does do a fairly robust autocross series, as well as Car Control clinics and DE's. Check out their calendar of events on that website. CCA events are usually very safe, adn they don;t put up with idiots making it dangerous for others.

SCCA is more hard-core, and although they have a decent instructor program, I would recommend a less competitive environment, like your local chapter, for both autocross and track events (DEs). SCCA is safe as well. (there are clubs I would never dream of running with...) I would also recommend doing an Advanced Driver Safety School (ADSS) that your local chapters offer as well, that give you basics on car control at the limit. I say "basics" almost tongue-in-cheek, because you'll be learning things that you've never done before in a car, no matter how long you've driven.

Find out what you'd like to do, try a few events, listen and learn as much as you can, and have fun. Once you get better, you can think about club racing, sponsors, dedicated track cars, etc...
Appreciate 0