View Single Post
      06-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

The E90 kit works. The wiring harness has 2 extra wires which, oddly enough, aren't even used in the E90. You'll have to cut off two of the connectors and tuck the 4-pin plug out of the way somewhere.

Make sure you splice into the CAS wiring at least 6" away from the connector, or you won't be able to plug it back in.

Butchering the cluster trim piece is a pain in the ass, and mine has a 1/2" gap where I took out too much material. I might fill it in with model putty or something. A template would have been nice.

I didn't take any pictures, since I wanted to get it installed and go home.:biggrin: The repair instructions are well-illustrated. What isn't shown is removing the cluster, trim, and pedal trim. You'll need a set of torx drivers, preferably bits and a 1/4" ratchet. A small pistol-grip power screwdriver makes it a lot easier.

When you take out the pedal trim, you'll have to remove the MOST connection (square cover on the left side; carefully pry it open from the front and unplug the fiber optics), and unplug the emergency assist speaker, bluetooth antenna, and footwell light.

DO NOT turn on the ignition with the cluster, MOST, or TCU connections unplugged, or you will set faults. DO NOT touch the fiber optics or bend them too far. Bad things will happen.

Make sure you route the nav wires where they will not rub, get pinched between moving parts, or interfere with the re-installation of the cluster. Use double-sided tape to stick the 'black box' behind the dash (as shown in the instructions), and use plenty of zip ties. Wrap the splices with electrical tape, so they don't move around and work themselves loose.

E9x nav kit: 65 90 0 429 403
E8x base plate: 65 90 0 442 224
Connectors (for splicing into CAS): (x2) 61 13 8 364 566

Complete E8x nav kit w/Garmin Nuvi 360 (you'll still need the base plate and connectors): 65 90 0 441 655
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E82 NAV.pdf (721.8 KB, 1506 views)
Appreciate 0