MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar335 View Post
Did you get the K2s for the rear as well, I have looked at wiring diagrams for the HK and HiFi system and there is almost no difference between the two. Based on what I saw the component speakers should work in the rear without the tweeter being connected. Thoughts?
I don't see any reason the HiFi wiring won't work for rear components, you'll need tweeter enclosures. I already have IC 100L rear speakers installed. I ordered just the fronts, they were delivered on Friday. First impression, K2 mid is slightly smaller than the OEM, shouldn't be an fitment issue. The tweeter on the other hand requires a protective collar whose OD is larger than OEM tweeter. I'm hoping the one in the adapter kit will work. The crossover is huge (3x4x1.5), leap of faith this will fit somewhere in the door. Hoping K2s are worth it, on paper the T/S parameters don't look much different than the 100Ls .

A tech at Focal suggested I cross the mids at 200hz with a -12db slope given we have subs. That's pretty high, I currently have the 100Ls crossed at 150hz w/ -24db slope using an LR filter. As this progresses, the under-seat sub is becoming a key issue in obtaining a full sound. I'm still using the OEM as better options, at least on paper, are limited... but that's worthy of an entire thread.
I've heard from various installers the K2's are "night and day" better than the PNP's. Likewise, the Utopia M's are "night and day" better than the K2's. I'm thinking of going with the Utopia M's (professionally installed).
Appreciate 0