View Single Post
      11-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #80
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Well I got the K2's installed. I need to put some miles on before I can declare victory. I should be elevated to least Captain for this effort... moderator? This was considerably more difficult than the PnP Focal IC BMW 100L install which looks trivial now. The mid-range adapter ring was spot on but it has a ridge on it that interferes with the mounting towers, so I had to shim the ring to clear them. The tweeters also require an adapter ring and the ones in the kit didn't fit so I ended up using the mesh grill covers and that appear to work but time will tell if they stay within the clips. I was able to fit the crossovers behind the door panel but the mounting is simply double sided tape so I'm not sure they'll stick over time. I found a slightly better location when I did the second door but they really need to be screwed to the door. That requires removing the inner door panel and I wasn't willing to do that until I knew they'd at least fit. There is no wiring that comes with the K2's so I had to cut lengths of wire and crimp/solder connectors which took a number of tries before I got a quality connection.

I'm sure you all are more interested in the sound rather than the pain it took to install them. Once I break them in I'll be able to report on it. Now that I have my measuring mic I can tune it with the real time analyzer. This isn't going to be ground shattering given the 100L's are pretty damn good so I'm expecting just incremental steps as is common with HiFi. First impression is good but they definitely need a lot of power, perhaps more than I'm using, to get up to their potential.

Having done it, not sure I'd do it again, at least as a DIY install. This certainly isn't for everyone... more later.

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 11-27-2021 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 3
MarkCav72.00
5pacey56.00
Gstahl18.00