View Single Post
      01-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #68
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Until they need more M sales to keep up with the Mueller's ........
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
+1. We've heard this before (hint X5/6M). If there is profit to be made, they will do it.
There is no suitable engine nor any corroborating vehicle programs in the pipeline. So, it isn't happening anytime soon.

Strictly speaking, it is true that it could happen some day. But in my opinion, the writing is on the wall. M Division has decided not to invest in a high performance FWD/AWD ICE powertrain and vehicle chassis.

It is still possible that, come next generation, they will get on board with some type of hybrid setup. However, it seems plausible to me - and I'm speculating - that they will let it ride with the M2 coupe as the only small M vehicle until everything moves to a dedicated EV platform. Keep in mind, that could happen as soon as late next decade. The G42 2 Series will arrive in 2021 and exit in 2028. By 2028, a 450hp+, 300mile+ small high performance electric vehicle lineup might (Read: will) not just be a technical possibility, but might also be what everyone actually wants to drive by that time anyway.
Appreciate 0