11-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #54
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I mean you are comparing the handling of the X5M to your M4. If that leaves you disappointed then the M50 will further that same feeling. Aside from a maybe a Cayenne GTS/Turbo nothing else comes close in terms of handling. Not crapping on the M50i at all but it all comes down to what you are after. The M50i is probably the sweet spot for 98% of the folks out there in terms of value/performance.

Maybe your expectation needs to be dialed back because no matter what these are big/heavy suvs and just can't handle like your M4 no matter what. Once you compare them to other SUVs then the physics defying description holds. My previous car was a F80 M3 Comp.

Alan
Excellent post.
When I was at the BMW Performance Center track in Thermal, CA a couple of weeks ago, I got to try out a X5MC, M4C, Z4 M40i and a M850i on the track.
While the X5MC did great, of course the other three vehicles were even better. The best of them all was the Z4. Though I think if they brought an M2C over, that of course would be the best on their tight track.
But for the size, height and weight of the X5MC, it practically does defy physics.
The day after the track event, I took a ride on the 74 outside Palm Dessert. I was never on that road before and I wanted to try my X5MC out on the tight turns leading to the top. I had a Charger Hellcat behind me that looked like he wanted to play a bit. He faded back after the third turn. At the top when I pulled over to turn around, he finally caught up and we talked for a bit. He was fascinated about how well my car did. When I told him it was all stock, he was in awe. The BMW M xDrive system is fantastic in turns. You can actually feel the power going to what ever wheel needs it in the turns.

I think he will be shopping for a new X5M soon.
Appreciate 1