Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
The laser lights are equipped in the US but nerfed for the amount lumens allowed. As I understand it the benefit of the laser tech compared to other vehicles in the US is negligible because of the brightness limitation.
They are useful in the US if you are driving on backroads above 35 mph. Had them on my standard X5 and the illumination is unreal, but not useful at all around town due to the lower speeds and amount of ambient light. The standard LED high beams are so good it can be hard to justify in the US.
UPDATE: by now I have driven with these new "lasers" quite a while on all kind of roads.

It's quite visible when they switch on at some 60 km/h: you see two narrow intense cylindrical beams (with blurred edges) and on low traffic autobahns and country roads they are quite useful, you really see stuff much farther.

What strikes me most is a sort of uncanny ability to focus where you need them - being so narrow, even a small deviation would make the beams useless.

It is almost as if a camera is watching the scene and 95% of the time keeps the beams pointed both vertically and horizontally where you need them: you see the beams kind of dancing, being constantly and usefully realigned and I'm still wondering how this is accomplished.
Appreciate 1