View Single Post
      12-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #413
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I honestly don't know why this isn't super common. Most other countries, no one would ever consider marriage without one.

Wife and I did a pre-nup, super straight forward. It laid out what we each came into the marriage with and noted that in event of a divorce, we would each get what we came in with, and everything else would be split 50/50, no exceptions.

Seemed straight to me. Not sure why it's so hard.
I agree pre-nups should be standard/required as it just eliminates the bull**** with..."Oh you don't love me...." or "You're not serious about this marriage if you're already thinking the worst with divorce...."

While it's not totally needed depending on the state you live in, it just cuts out a lot of the BS where the other party lays claim on pre-marital assets which they know is pre-marital.

In my case, a pre-nup would have been very helpful in cutting through all the crap and we could have focused on what is marital. Fortunately, the state laws where I am do have fairly rigid guidelines on what is pre-marital so my soon to be ex couldn't lay any claim on it. When going through a divorce, any semblance of what you think your spouse is/was goes out the window and you'll see the side of that person you've never even thought existed. Yes, there are amicable divorces and that's great. But those are few and far between. Most of the time, expect things to get real messy. My ex was going after a bunch of things which made absolutely no sense and were no marital. Some of the things I just gave up to look at the ultimate prize of just having closure so I can move on. Other things I stood my ground on and thank goodness I'm a pack rat. I had receipts for items she was attempting to lay claim on for items I purchased pre marriage many years ago.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00