Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Angry Workplace Rant - Internet Access Threats of Turning It Off

Greetings,

I work for a small engineering company, run and owned by a guy that still thinks and operates as though it was 1996 - old, archaic and draconian is how I would describe the workplace environment.

The other day the VP of sales calls all of the sales group into a two-minute meeting and goes on to state that no one should be using the Internet for anything other work-related items. He mentioned several people specifically, I was not one of them since I rarely go anywhere besides Slashdot.com of here at M3post.com. There are others who egregiously abuse and openly watch YouTube videos, Fox News, ESPN and even one guy who's always playing blackjack.

My question for all you guys is, does your company have the same kind of rules or approach that you cannot use the Internet for anything else besides work? Or is there a certain amount of trust that people will make good decisions on their own?

Oh, I almost forgot, at the meeting the guy said that they may just turn off access altogether and even not allow people to use their smartphones either. So am I being just over-reactive or is this something that exists everywhere else?

Thank you,
Merlin

2012 E92 M3 ZCP | 2008 E90 335xi | 2008 E90 335i |
Appreciate 0