View Single Post
      01-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #10
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Like I said, if you want *reliable* radio communications in an emergency situation, get the ham radio license and volunteer for those emergency service groups. There are 173 VHF/UHF ham radio repeaters claiming to have emergency power supplies on hilltops all over New York State according to RepeaterBook, each with 10+ miles of coverage with a ham radio walkie talkie and 50+ mile range to a car-mounted or home base station radio. Some of these repeaters are located at and sponsored by county emergency centers, and even networked together (by radio links) to cover large regions. There are prepper resources on the web with details, since it is something that they plan to use when SHTF.....
This ^^^^

When the sh*t hits the fan, it will be the Hams who are able to retain communications, send for help, organize, etc. My wife's side of the family are all licensed Hams, do Field Day every year, etc. I used to poke fun at them until i saw just how valuable it is. During Hurricane Maria in 2017 one of my employees was completely distraught because his parents live in Puerto Rico and all communication was down. It had been days since he had heard from them and nothing since the storm hit. Didn't know if they were alive or dead. My father in law managed to get word into their town via Ham radio and someone confirmed they were safe, weeks before cell or land line service was back up.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614904.50