Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
Great info, how do i get ham license?
http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

There are classroom sessions (sometimes free) to get people licensed that local clubs run. One of the local clubs in our area also runs the license exams before most monthly meetings if you study for it on your own. The usual test fee is $15, and there is no fee for the license after that.

The test is 35 questions out of a 350 question pool for the basic "Technician" license...good for VHF/UHF regional stuff. Because the government is involved, the entire 350 question test pool with answers is freely available online. There are several free web sites that generate sample tests and flash cards to quickly memorize the answers without actually learning the radio stuff. Yes, there are kids who haven't even learned their multiplication tables out there with the most advanced ham license because they memorized the test pools for all three license grades.

As a perk to NY State folks, the amateur radio custom plates are still white and not the hideous (IMO) gold/orange disasters that Governor Patterson signed off for:

Having a police scanner in a motor vehicle is also illegal in NY State, but having a ham license exempts you from that law should any nice officer ask. Not as useful now as it was in the past thanks to the police using digital trunking radio systems, but an added perk none the less.....