Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
You guys do realize that HK makes more than one system and that all of them don't sound exactly the same in every single model of car it's installed in, right? When you say B&W or death, are you comparing the (so called) upgraded G05 X5 HK and B&W in same configured model, same driving conditions, same EQ, same source, and same content? Cause that's a hard test to do and while I am sure B&W is great, it's far from free and it is a car, one of the worst listening environments possible — there is such a thing as diminishing returns.
the B&W has almost 3 times the amount of wattage as the HK system. You definitely notice having more power to move more air, that's just physics. You can make any rationalizations that you want to make it seem like there are diminishing returns, but there isn't. It's not close lol. No one is saying that the B&W system is studio accurate. Of course the car is the least worst place to listen to music, but the B&W system does a lot to mask the harsh acoustical environment better than anything else I've heard to date. Ever. Is it worth it? It was to me. For me it's now "B&W or death" because I cant ever go back to the HK system. Many forum members here cant go back to a 40i after having had a M performance or M model. I've never driven a M variant so I don't know what Im missing (and Im perfectly happy about that).

we went to our local dealer a bunch of times when figuring out how to build our x5 to spec. At no point during any of those test drives did I ever think about the B&W system as a viable option. I was perfectly happy to get the HK system again, having been pleased with it in our F15. But the dealer was pressing us to buy a model off their lot, and only one had about 80% of the things we wanted, and some things we didnt, including the B&W system. It was at that point just for the fun of it I wanted the salesman to let me play something on the system to hear it and within 5 seconds I knew it was leagues better than the HK system, so much so that I went back to our spec sheet to put this option in.

You don't have to believe me. Go down to your local dealer and ask to hear it for yourself if you think we're exaggerating. the difference in the two audio systems is palpable, if you don't notice it, then you're going deaf and you have bigger problems to deal with. I would personally suggest that you don't, because if you at all care about music fidelity, you won't ever want to listen to the HK system again. Case in point: I now only listen to podcasts in my F15.
B&W or death it is then :-). I am sort of not at all interested in hearing it after your post, see (my) post #2 in this thread for reason :-).

Jokes aside, just came in from a 3 hour trip playing Connected Music built-in Spotify on my deficient stock HK system the whole way. Seemed pretty good, probably quite a bit better than just adequate, including bass. (I do occasionally find some mid bass muddy, but it seems to follow content).

But B&W or death next time ...