12-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
Around 1 Dec I noticed the SES light was illuminated. Used my handy OBDII thingy that came with the JBD and found one stored code: 4BAC, which relates to the SCR system. I have a tad over 64k miles.

Took it to the nearby dealer on 5 Dec. No word that day. 6 Dec they diagnosed a bad sensor in the DEF tank and ordered the needed part. 7 Dec they installed but didn't finish clearing all faults. 8 Dec they finished by the end of the day.

The replaced the active DEF tank (SCR container 16-19-7-204-623), added the urea, replaced a couple of hose clamps.

Although I do have the BMW Extended Warranty and would have paid a $50 deductible, this was covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty.
Very lucky you're still covered. The 4BAC is the level sensor in the Active tank. The part only costs a few hundred, but BMW dealers won't replace JUST the sensor. They replace the whole tank, which costs $1200-$1600, and charge you another $1500 labor. Several people are mad as hell about DEF tank replacements because the individual sensors and pumps are not field-replaceable.
Appreciate 0